Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Memphis-Style Pork Spareribs


Finished Product
Originally uploaded by kcmckell
Hi everyone! My name is Clay, and I would like to thank Philip for inviting me to contribute to this blog. I like to dabble with new and interesting recipes, and I also like to play around with my camera.

This dinner was a "thank you" to Serena's former roommates and to those who helped move her in to her new place. The dinner was BBQ themed, and the menu consisted of these ribs, baked beans from scratch, and fresh coleslaw.

I've enjoyed ribs before, but had never attempted them on my own. I knew that the key was long, low, and even heat, and I am very grateful to the Epicurious information on indirect grilling.

Indirect Gas Grilling
Indirect Gas Grilling
Originally uploaded by kcmckell
I applied the principles to our low-budget propane gas grill. Basically, just put a baking sheet under where the meat would be (as far from the heat as possible), and place a basket of hickory wood chips over the burner with the flame on. Lesson for next time: Keep the water in the baking sheet, soak the chips for longer (they actually flamed up and produced some ash inside the grill), and keep the heat even lower (I had the gas set to "medium").

Dry Rub on the Ribs
Dry Rub on the Ribs
Originally uploaded by kcmckell
The rub and grilling directions can be found here. In addition to the ingredients listed, I followed a user suggestion and added a dash of cinnamon.

I trimmed and rubbed the racks in the morning before heading to campus; then I wrapped them in foil and let them cure for about seven hours until I got home and fired up the grill.

It has always been my experience that meat objects coming off the grill should be "wet" in some way. Chicken should have a BBQ sauce applied, Tri-tips should be still sweating, etc.

Halfway There
Halfway There
Originally uploaded by kcmckell
This history is likely what motivated me to mix up the "mop sauce" and brush it on after an hour of cooking (about halfway through the process). Not a BBQ sauce nor a marinade by any stretch of the imagination, I was dubious about how this acrid, pale, thin liquid would contribute to my masterpiece. In the end, however, I had to bring the excess mop sauce out to the dinner table because the guests couldn't get enough to brush on their dry-rubbed ribs.

2 comments:

  1. Talk about starting with a bang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a "witty" response, but not if my parents are gonna read this. I'll just have to wait til I get home.

    ReplyDelete